Dear Marcus,
Happy Fathers Day babe. I wish today was more about spoiling you, honouring you and giving you the day off. But someone thought having fathers day in the weekend was a good idea and because of that, this weekend, like most weekends you've had as a Dad has been exhausting.
Entertaining our three kids is exhausting. I know like me you wouldn't trade it for anything, despite the moments of just craving quiet or sleep. But you choose everyday to do this parenting thing well. To invest in this short time we have with them because you know there will be plenty of time to sleep when they have grown. It's because of you filling their childhood with happy memories that our children sleep tonight dreaming of kite flying, train riding and piggy back rides. They sleep knowing how much their Dad loves them.
They say that a woman picks a man similar to her own Dad to be the Dad of her kids. My Dad is a servant like you are, and didn't shy away from the exhaustion of being a hands on father. Babe, I know that I nag, make you pause the TV to tend to a child (despite it being the biggest thing to happen to Hawkes Bay Rugby in over 40 years)
I know that I growl when prams get left out in the rain and cook you some pretty terrible meals which you never complain about. If I take you granted I'm sorry because you are an amazing father and husband. I wouldn't want to do this parenting thing with anyone else. You are the fun maker, the fixer, the head of reason, the explorer and the ever patient helper in our family. We love you.
Lucy spent a week making you her fathers day card which I know you will treasure. Here's a little interview I did with Olli tonight while he is still young enough to give honest and heart felt answers. (Thanks Tash for the inspiration). And our youngest Nate, he can't talk yet (which is a good thing in this house) but if he could, I know he would say how much he loves you too. Pretty sure you are his favourite because you put sugar in his cornflakes and milo in his milk.
Interview with Oliver on Fathers Day.
What is something Daddy always says to you?
I love you.
What makes Daddy happy?
My kisses
What makes Daddy sad?
Doing bad choices
How does your Daddy make you laugh?
Tickling me.
What did Daddy like to do when he was little?
Climb trees
How old is Daddy?
10
What is his favourite thing to watch on TV?
Rugby
What does Daddy do when you're not there?
He does work, makes his guitars in his office.
What is Daddy really good at?
fixing stuff
What is Daddy not very good at?
Making monster truck roofs.
What does Daddy do for his job?
This is a tricky one.....I don't know. Hmmmm, it's too tricky!
What is Daddy's favourite food?
cornflakes
What makes you proud of your Dad?
When he tidies my room and makes my bed.
What does your Dad love most about Mummy?
Cuddles
How do you know Daddy loves you?
Because he loves my kisses.
Where is Daddy's favourite place to go?
MCDONALDS!
What would your Daddy do with a million dollars?
Get a gold medal. And a trophy.
What ways do you want to be like your Daddy?
I want strong arms like him and to drive cars.
What's one thing you would want to say to Daddy for fathers day?
I love you.
By Oliver, age 4.5 years.




Awwww. How absolutely adorable! What a great idea to interview little Oliver! You're my inspiration!!! xxx
ReplyDeleteLovely dedication to the awesome Marcus! Oli - you never cease to be absolutely adorable and priceless.... would love to see an interview with Oli's son at the same age to see how HE is viewed as a father, hehe. FUN!
ReplyDelete