Days of Our Lives



Thursday, June 19, 2014

Red dirt




Today was a stunner. Bright blue sky and hot enough to be in shorts and singlet.  

I walked the 30 minutes to Nathan's kindy with the empty pram to pick him up because I didn't want to miss the chance to  walk in this weather.  There was still a frosting of snow on the tallest mountains surrounding the valley, the last stoic leaves were clinging to their branches of autumn glory and my eyes were opened to the beauty of this landscape. 

Black construction and domestic workers lay out on the grass in the park on the edge of town, sunbathing in their lunch break and thawing their bones from the harsh weather the night before. They smiled big white teeth at me as I passed and they weren't polite smiles of a 'them vs us' variety but smiles of solidarity that  today, in this moment, we were enjoying the same sun on our backs.

I saw links to other beautiful places I have lived. To my right, It looked like Oliver B.C in Canada where I spent a year of my youth.  Walking down a little side road passing historic stone buildings and I felt like I was in Nasbey, in Central Otago.  

New Zealand is still home and has my heart but I see God here too in this creation and I can feel a part of Africa creeping into my blood, a flavour that I know will tint my life's experiences from now on.

One and a half months in and the red soil under my feet is becoming normal, the sharp cry of the crow and the chirping of the night frogs I hardly notice anymore. 

I am on the other side of the world and yet God feels as close here as he ever was.

From the hills of Franschhoek South Africa to the ....


Those who live at the ends of the earth stand in awe of your wonders. From where the sun rises to where it sets, you inspire shouts of joy.” ~ Psalm 65:8


...sunset on Te Mata Peak back home. 

I shouted with joy when I reached the top of the hill.
God is good.  

4 comments:

  1. This is really beautiful Anna. Thank you for sharing Gods goodness and faithfulness. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Anna. All those years of education are paying off. Your English teachers would be proud of you. Keep your eyes fixed on Te Mata peak and I'll feel safer that you will return.
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful poetic free verse! Haha, I've been teaching poetry this term to my year 9, really should show them your blog as an excellent example! Thanks for the devotion and the reminder that God's love and purpose and provision are everywhere all the the time and for anyone. I love that youa ndt he workers shared the same moment in the sun, the same feeling of being alive and God is good. I love that when you look at the mountains in Africa you see the mountains in New Zealand! Red dirt...reminds me of that scene in Blood Diamond when Leo rubs the dirt between his fingers as he is dying.."exactly where I'm supposed to be.." Love you sis.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also remember that feeling of my faith awaking that God really was the same wherever I went. Different people, different city/country, even different language, yet we were worshiping the same God. Blew my mind at how big He is and how I could ever doubt his existence.
    Also love the comment of the shared moment in the sun, reminded me of the line in Shawshank redemption - 'as we drank, with the sun on our backs we felt like free men again...'
    Keep growing big sis, keep your eyes open to the experiences that will shape you and your memories to come.
    I'm with Dad though, that I hope you come home to nz too, I really want to live in the same country as you again soon :-)
    Love you. Xx

    ReplyDelete