I stood a mendicant [beggar] of God
before His royal throne
And begged Him for a priceless gift,
which I could call my own.
I took the gift from out His hand,
but as I would depart,
I cried "But Lord, this is a thorn
and it has pierced my heart.
"This is a strange, a hurtful gift that Thou hast given me."
He said "My child, I give good gifts and give My best to thee."
I took it home and though at first,
the cruel thorn hurt sore:
As long years passed I learned at last
to love it more and more.
I learned He never gives a thorn
without this added grace.
He takes the thorn to pin aside...
the veil which hides His face.
Martha Snell Nicolson.
About a year ago Marcus prayed for a trail. As a couple we were suffering from a bad case of apathy in our faith. Things were comfortable, life was good. We never doubted God but when things are good it's hard to see your need for a saviour. We were going through the motions but the joy that so many Christians talk about wasn't something we were experiencing. So like the poet above Marcus asked God for a gift, a trial that would draw him closer to God. ( I knew in my heart I needed one too, but wasn't as brave as him to actually ask for one.)
It's only now after he has undergone the daily stab of that thorn for almost 6 months that the reality of what he asked for has hit home. I can only speak for myself because while we are walking through this trial together, we are having very different journeys. I'm also aware that what we are going through is nothing in comparison to what others endure. That part almost embarrasses me, but I know that this trial, our trial was fashioned for us by a very wise God who knew exactly what sort of suffering we needed. It is a trial that has us searching deep into our souls and has me clinging on tight to God's robe. It is the best place I can be and I am flawed that I have spent a lifetime clinging tight to other stuff.
We are still none the wiser in where this trial will lead us, what or where we will end up which for a planner like me is hard but what we are learning now in the midst of it, I am so thankful for. Thankful for what we are learning about God, his provision, his love for our souls.
So very well expressed Anna. Thank you for it as it gives me hope and faith that things will be okay for us too xxx
ReplyDelete